Home Forums General Discussion What happens when Internet is disconnected?

BlackBull Markets
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      User AvatarAsser
      Participant

Hi guys,

I was running EA Studio software on my computer during the night when I noticed that Internet got disconnected for about two hours with no prior warning from my “dear” provider. Strangely EA Studio kept calculating, but I doubt it continued to run. When Internet came back, EA Studio ran normally (at least I think so).

Two questions:
      1)      Was my observation correct? Does EA Studio continue running automatically when the Internet connection is back?
      2)      What happens to a running EA on MT4 when that happens? … Or when a power failure occurs?

Thanks.

User AvatarIlan Vardy

Hi Asser,

1. You are quite correct. Once the historical data has been loaded into EA Studio, everything else happens locally on your PC.  No internet connection is required.

2. On MT4, once an EA opens a trade, based on the real-time price, the TP and SL are ‘saved’ with the broker, so if your internet connection goes down, or you have a power failure, the trade will stay open until the SL or TP are reached, however the indicator rules will not apply, and of course, no other trades will open or close. Remember, the EAs reside on your PC, not your broker’s server.

Hope this clears things up.

Ilan

User AvatarAsser
      Participant

Wow… Quick & precise answer!
      What a great software that continues running despite internet connection failure.
      Happy to hear from you Ilan.

Thank you.

User AvatarIlan Vardy

No problem. Living in South Africa, we often have rolling blackouts for months at a time, for up to 6 hours a day. I doubt this is an issue in Australia, but if you do find yourself in a situation where your internet goes down regularly, you could look at setting up a VPS, either with your broker, or a 3rd party VPS provider. Personally, I run my live platforms on my laptop, attached to a UPS, so when we have power failures, and I’m not home to turn on the generator, at least I have a few hours of battery life

User Avatarrichard
      Participant

Hey guys.  I also set up a UPS and it has saved me a few times from the storms we have here in Brisbane in the summer…..  I recently bought a router that you can fit a sim card into and it will automatically flick to mobile network if the internet  goes down.  No good if the power cut is significant and all the local cell phone towers go down but it seems to do the trick so far……

User AvatarAsser
      Participant

Whoa!
      Nice to know how you handle your electricity supply and internet connection.
      Ilan: I’m not from down under like Richard. Go a little further north, turn left and you find me in Europe waiting for you by the EU sign 😀

User AvatarIlan Vardy

Hey Asser,

Oh, sorry, my mistake. I assumed you were an Ozzie.

Where in Europe are you based?

User AvatarAsser
      Participant

DK 🙂

User AvatarIlan Vardy

So, just a little bit North of Australia 🙂

User AvatarAsser
      Participant

Yah… and South Africa, for that matter.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart